Sunday, June 5, 2011 -
More articles in Citizenship
Becoming a citizen
If you want to become a Canadian citizen, you must:
- Determine if you are eligible to become a citizen.
- Apply for citizenship.
- Take the citizenship test, if you are between the ages of 18 and 54.
- Attend a citizenship ceremony, if you are 14 or older.
Determine Your Eligibility - Who Can Apply:
1) You must be at-least 18 years old to apply for Canadian
2) To become a Canadian citizen, you must have permanent resident status in
Canada, and that status must not be in doubt. If you are still not a
permanent resident of Canada you may start the application process by completing the
Immigration Evaluation Form.
3) You must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years immediately before you apply for citizenship. For example, if you applied for citizenship on June, 1 2011, we would count back to June 1, 2007. Each day you lived in Canada AFTER you became a permanent resident counts as one day. Each day you lived in Canada BEFORE you became a permanent resident counts as half a day.
4) Canada has two official languages - English and French. You need to be able
to speak either English or French well enough to communicate with people.
In other words, you must know enough English or French to understand other
people and for them to understand you.
5) To become a Canadian citizen, you must know the rights and
responsibilities of citizens, such as the right and responsibility to vote. You
must also know some things about Canada's history and geography, and about its
political system. The information you need to know is in the free booklet Discover Canada. Citizenship Canada will send you a copy of this book once
they have received your application. The questions in the citizenship test are
based on the information in this booklet.
Becoming a citizen: How to apply - Procedure
Once you have met the above requirements you are ready to apply for Canadian
If you are an adult (age 18 or older), you need this form:
If you are applying for your children (under age 18), you need this form:
These application form contains instructions. Read those instructions, complete
the form and attach photocopies of your documents. All the information required
to complete the application forms are included in the form links above.
You can also order the Canadian Citizenship application forms and guide you need by calling CIC Call Centre (Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242-2100). Please be ready to tell them the name, age and date of permanent resident status for everyone you are applying for, your full address (including the postal code), and the number of adult and children's forms you need.